I’ve just hit a wall with the lack of sleep I’ve had over the last four months. Whilst I was reflecting on why I was struggling so much I realised that I haven’t had more than 5 hours straight sleep since April. I will write about the effects of sleep deprivation another time but here are some of the things that are said to me on an almost daily basis that wind me up.
1. I’m so tired.
This occurs most mornings in our house after an average 7/8 hours sleep whilst snoring (him not me).
2. How many times did the baby wake up? …. Oh only two or three times that’s not bad is it?
Ermmm yes it is that bad.
3. Try to sleep when the baby sleeps.
That’s not so easy when you have two toddlers rampaging the house.
4. Try to put your feet up.
Ditto to previous comment.
5. Its just a phase and will pass.
Oh okay only another year and a half to go based on the last child. Not long then!
6. Enjoy this time its over before you know it.
True but not always easy to abide to.
7. My baby is sleeping through the night.
Never ever tell an exhausted mum that your baby has slept through from 6 weeks, its soul destroying for us normal people.
8. How did you sleep?
Great thanks… Come on what kind of question is this?
9. You look tired.
Thanks I feel ever worse now.
10. Is the baby sleeping through yet?
Everyone from shopkeepers to friends have asked me this since Sam was a week old. Seriously.. A week old!